Our local supermarket carries bags of mini tri-colored peppers. They are delicious raw, but I never attempted to cook with them until last night. I sure am glad I did, because it turned out to be a scrumptious meal! My fiancé just called them a “rainbow of yumminess”… Just another reason for me to love him!
I made these spicy, but you can modify it for the spice sensitive people by using sweet turkey sausage and cutting out the hot chili powder.
1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Remove sausage from its casing and brown the crumbles in a large skillet over high heat.
3. Lower the heat and add the hot chili powder, onions, and tomato. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onion is tender.
4. While the stuffing mixture cooks, wash the peppers, cut off their tops, and remove the seeds.
5. Stuff the peppers with the stuffing mixture and place them upright in a baking dish.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until peppers begin to look wrinkly.