Having a garden outside my door has been an exciting new adventure for me! My morning started off by walking outside to assess what needs to be eaten. I picked our first round of broccoli already, and it is time to pick the secondary shoots. The herbs are finally ready to use as well. I couldn’t think of any way to possibly combine broccoli and basil and then it hit me over the head. Thai basil stir fry, duh!
1 pound chicken breast cut into strips
1 head broccoli – washed and cut into bite size pieces
6 oz. baby corn
2-3 chiles (I am using Red Fresno Chiles) – sliced into slivers
1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves minced garlic
3 Tbsp. fish sauce
2 Tbsp. white wine
1 cup chopped fresh basil
Chopped cashews (optional)
Cooked rice of your choice (optional)
1. In a wok or large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and chicken, and cook while stirring frequently until the chicken is opaque.
2. Add chiles, fish sauce, wine, and cook until the peppers soften (about 2 minutes).
3. Add the broccoli and corn and cook until the broccoli is cooked to your liking (5 minutes for as light crunch).
4. Stir in basil and allow to wilt.
5. Serve as you please. If paleo isn’t your thing, serve over a bed of jasmine rice and sprinkle with cashews. I will be enjoying mine in a big bowl as is!