I. Love. Pesto.
It’s simple. Pesto is delicious. My basil plants are doing their best at growing nice and big for many batches of pesto to come, but for now, spinach pesto will do. Basil is seasonal and very expensive, so traditional pesto is not always the best choice. Spinach pesto can be made year round and it is relatively inexpensive compared to its basil counterpart. The lemon brings out a fabulous fresh taste that is perfect for a summer meal or a pick me up during the winter. This is a paleo version, but if you want to make it even better, add a bit of parmesan cheese when you are blending it.
Serving suggestions include the following:
– Top slices of ripe tomato with dollops of pesto
– Sauté chicken, shrimp, or clams in it
– Toss with spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or pasta
– Grill mixed veggies and then toss with pesto.
6 oz. bag of baby spinach
1 clove garlic
2 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts
Juice of one lemon
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1/4 tsp. pepper
Pinch of salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until desired consistency.
2. That’s it! It is THAT easy!