I am running out of ways to use the bazillions (ok, maybe not that many) of tomatoes that our garden is producing! If you have any suggestions for me, please comment!
Tonight, I was craving clams. You all know that I love the spiced up dishes, so spiced up clams with tomatoes leads to one awesome possibility…Fra Diavolo sauce!
2 dozen little neck clams
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 cloves garlic – minced
1 large onion cut into slivers
1/4 cup wine (red, white, or rose….whatever is open!)
5 plum tomatoes – diced
3 Serrano peppers – finely chopped (leave the seeds in for spicier sauce!)
1/2 cup chopped basil
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
1. In a big pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic and cook for several minutes until fragrant.
2. Add wine and stir to deglaze the pot. Bring to a boil.
3. Add tomatoes and red pepper flakes, stir, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add clams and basil, stir and cover. Cook until all clams are opened while stirring occasionally.
5. Serve immediately. Over zucchini noodles would be awesome!