Figs have been on sale as the summer produce season is coming to an end. I had a bunch in the fridge that I’d hate to see go bad, so why not experiment a bit?! Well, I sure am glad that I did, because this was DELICIOUS!
1 large onion – sliced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup red wine
2 Tbsp. honey
4 Sprigs Thyme – minced
Salt & Pepper
12 figs – sliced in half
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together balsamic, olive oil, vanilla, wine, honey, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
2. In a large ziplock bag, place the London broil, onions, and marinade. Seal and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
3. When ready to cook, preheat grill to medium high.
4. Remove onions from bag and sauté over high heat until they begin to brown. Add figs, and cook for 5 more minutes. Add remaining marinade and reduce to a simmer while you cook the beef.
5. Grill London broil for 7 minuted per side for medium rare. Remove from grill and cover with foil for 3-5 minutes.
6. Thinly slice the London broil and pour fig reduction over.