With temperatures not reaching above freezing today and our heat being on the fritz, it’s time to use the oven! The house is now warmed and smelling incredible! This dish is super easy to put together without sacrificing any flavor!
WARNING: This is so good, you will want to eat it directly out of the oven. Wait for it to cool a bit!
– Advice from someone with a burnt tongue
3 pounds cubed beef stew meat
2 Tbsp. almond flour (or regular flour if you are not here for the paleo)
2 onions – chopped
6 cloves garlic – minced
3 oz. tomato paste
2 parsnips – cut into 2 inch segments
10 carrots – cut into 2 inch segments
5 sprigs thyme – leaves only
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 cups beef broth
Salt & Pepper
*1 Tbsp. corn starch (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large Dutch oven pot, heat olive oil. In a large bowl, toss beef with flour and season generously with salt and pepper. Brown beef on all sides over medium high heat. Do two batches if there is not enough room in the pot the first time around. Transfer to a separate bowl.
3. Add onions to the pot and sauté for 2 minutes while stirring to deglaze the bottom of the pot. Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
4. Stir in tomato paste and lower heat to medium. Allow to cook for 5 minutes. Add parsnips, carrots, thyme, and beef. Pour beef broth over mixture until it is totally covered.
5. Cover and transfer into oven. Allow to cook for at least 3 hours while occasionally stirring.
*If you desire a thicker stew, add 2 ladles of gravy to a bowl about halfway through cooking in oven. Whisk in 1 Tbsp. corn starch and stir back into pot.