It’s trout season! I know this makes my daddy-o very happy because they stock the rivers by us. Opening day, he went out with my husband and they brought home 7 delicious fish! I love two things about this:
1. My father and husband get along great.
2. Fresh fish for dinner!
I was struggling with a way to make them tastier than just straight up grilling them, so I decided to make a sauce that the Portuguese in me would call a “molho”. You could use anything you have around the house to make this scrumptious, so I went with what I had. Who knew that my garden thyme would have survived the winter!? While I grilled up a big fish feast, I have scaled down the recipe to serve two.
2 rainbow trout – gutted and scaled
1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic – minced
1/2 small onion – minced
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
Coarse salt & pepper
1. Preheat your grill to medium high heat.
2. Generously season the fish with salt and pepper. Place in a greased grill basket, and grill for 4-5 minutes per side until it begins to char.
3. While the fish is grilling, combine the remaining ingredients in a small sauce pan and heat over medium-low heat.
4. Once fish is done, pour sauce over and enjoy with a fresh squeeze of lemon.