While we social distance at home, my cravings have been intense! A friend posted a delicious looking picture of these bars and I just had to have them! I decided to adapt the recipe to my taste (and ingredients in the pantry). I just made them for the second time in two weeks and it is taking every ounce of willpower to not just eat the entire batch straight out of the pan!
*This version is an adaptation of an adaptation of a recipe originally found on Golden Barrel’s website.
Shortbread Layer –
2 cups almond flour
2 Tbsp. coconut flour
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp. coarse ground salt
Apple Filling –
3 apples – peeled and diced
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
Crumble Topping –
Reserved Shortbread Layer dough
2 Tbsp. chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are perfect!)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. coconut sugar
1/4 tsp. extra honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degree and grease a 9-inch square baking pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the shortbread layer. Reserve 1/4 of the dough for later and press the remaining 3/4 of the dough into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 6 minutes or until very slightly brown.
- While the shortbread layer bakes, mix the apple filling ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer over medium-low heat. If it seems too dry, add a little more water. Allow to bubble while shortbread bakes.
- Once the shortbread is pre-baked, remove from oven and evenly distribute the apple topping over it. Mix the Crumble topping ingredients in a small bowl and then sprinkle on top of the apples. Gently press the crumble into the apple and then bake for 17-20 more minutes until the crumble topping begins to brown.
- Allow it to cool for 20 minutes, cut into squares and enjoy! Refrigerate leftovers. Leftovers?! Haha, ok, maybe not with this one!