Before I became a cavegirl, pasta was my absolute favorite dish. Ok, who am I kidding, it IS still my favorite dish, I just don’t eat it. While you can’t go into a spaghetti squash meal anticipating a giant bowl of pasta in front of you, it sure does make a great substitute! By making it this way, it absorbs that incredible flavors from the sausage and broccoli rabe making for a VERY satisfying meal!
Growing up in an house with a Portuguese mother and and Italian father meant that broccoli rabe was a staple at the dinner table. It can be a strong flavor, but certainly a delicious one! If broccoli rabe isn’t your thing, try substituting spinach!
1. At least an hour before, marinate chicken with 1 clove garlic minced, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a ziplock bag.
2. When ready to cook, preheat grill to medium heat.
3. Wash and chop broccoli rabe. In a large pot, sauté 1 clove of minced garlic in 1 Tbsp. of olive oil until fragrant. Add broccoli rabe, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Allow to sauté for about 3 mi uses until wilted.
4. Slice pockets into the chicken breast carefully. Stuff each pocket with broccoli rabe and secure opening with a toothpick.
5. Grill for 10 minutes per side. While chicken is grilling, make a small tomato salad by dicing a ripe tomato and tossing with balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
6. When the chicken is grilled, plate with a pile of tomatoes and enjoy!
Broccoli rabe is a favorite of ours. While I love getting creative with new recipes, broccoli rabe isn’t one that I play around with! Lots of garlic and the heat of red pepper flakes is in my opinion the only way to go. Top it with grilled sausage of your choice, and you have a simple, delicious, and paleo meal!
Alternate serving options include stirring in pasta (yum, I miss the days of pasta!) or doubling up the broccoli rabe to two bunches if you are extra hungry (it does cook down quite a bit).
1 big bunch broccoli rabe – washed and chopped
1 package sausage of your choice – I use either turkey or chicken
3 cloves garlic – cut into slivers
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat grill to medium high heat, and grill sausage until done.
2. While the sausage is grilling, in a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat and sauté garlic until fragrant.
3. Add broccoli rabe to pot and cook for 5 minutes while stirring frequently. This will cook the rabe aldente, you may choose to sauté longer if you wish.
4. Stir in red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
5. Plate a large pile of broccoli rabe and then top with sausage.