This sauce was SO good! I made the recipe with fluke that I caught fresh that day, but any whole fish would be delicious with this sauce!
Here’s my catch:
1 whole fish – gutted and scaled
1/2 cup olive oil + a drizzle worth
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
3 cloves garlic – minced
Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
2 Tbsp. capers
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Drizzle olive oil on fish and rub with kosher salt.
2. Preheat grill to medium high and grill fish for 8 minutes per side or until cooked through.
3. While fish is grilling, heat oil in a saucepan over medium high heat, and sauté garlic until fragrant. Add white wine and lemon juice, and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Add capers and oregano, and cook for 5 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Remove fish from grill, remove skin if desired, and pour sauce over.
I used the oven at lunch today, and realized that’s a bad idea in 90 degree heat with probably 99% humidity! Dinner tonight will be cooked entirely on the grill in one nice and easy packet made of foil! The oregano and kalamata olives will really bring out the rich Greek flavor!
Tonight’s meal is awesome for a few reasons:
a. I finally get to use oregano for the garden!
b. It can be be prepared ahead of time and thrown on the grill. Perfect, because I will be at our high school graduation ceremony.
c. No inside cooking.
d. You can prepare this ahead of time for a camping trip and cook in the campfire.
e. Greek food is scrumptious!
2 chicken breasts – cut into 1 inch cubes
1 zucchini – cut into 1/2 inch rounds
1 large red bell pepper – cut into bite size pieces
1/4 cup kalamata olives
1 clove garlic – minced
Juice of one lemon
2 Tbsp. white wine
2 sprigs fresh oregano chopped (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. pepper
Pinch of salt
1. At least two hours ahead of cook time, mix together all ingredients in a large bowl. Scoop contents onto a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil, and make a packet put of it. It may be easier to split it into two packets. Make sure it is sealed so you don’t lose any goodness while cooking. Refrigerate to allow for marination.
2. When ready to cook, preheat grill to medium high heat. Cook packet for 15 minutes, then flip over and cook for 10 more.
3. Remove packets from grill and carefully open. The steam inside is VERY hot! Scoop contents onto plates and enjoy!